Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Five months to go

Ironically, my Peace Corps assignment has me leaving the country two weeks before I can take my brother out for a drink. That's right, he'll finally be 21. I am starting to feel a bit of anxiety about leaving this place. I've gotten a steady job, that I love, good friends, and an amazing international community surrounding me. Sometimes I find myself panicking about leaving all of what I've grown here, especially because staying in one place is something new to me. I'm constantly traveling, and I made myself attempt to integrate into my local community yet again... and it worked. The idea of leaving all of what I've become emotionally involved in, and joining into and adapting with a new cultural foundation is a bit terrifying. The concept that I will be entering an arena where I will constantly be questioned about my organization, my motives, my needs, my "vegetarianism", and constantly harassed as a woman shakes my nerves. The language will be quite a challenge; I'll have a leg up on the alphabet, but I find myself "what if"-ing myself around every corner. Should I land in Morocco, dropped from a plane into a community, how would I survive?

I need to keep preparing....

Currently working on my shopping list.

After reading some Peace Corps Morocco blogs (what I do when I'm excited/nervous/bored), I've found out that the group I'm joining in March is the first Youth Development ONLY group for Morocco.

I'm slightly disappointed, because I was hoping I could learn from the previous volunteers on how to best educate my new village-family (here's hoping!) on how to take care of themselves. I don't have enough medical education at this point to feel that should be in my job description...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sam!

    I was really excited to find your blog on the Peace Corps Journals' site because I will be joining you in morocco as a YD volunteer as well.

    Can't wait to meet you!

    Oh, and I read that you are vegetarian, same here, should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, so.. bad news. I'm not actually a vegetarian--that's what the quotes were about, because I.... eat chicken.

    I know, I know! Terrible person. ;)

    I notice from you're blog that we're training in Rabat? Good to know!

    Can't believe we only have 5 months to go..

    ReplyDelete