Monday, November 21, 2011

Teaching (4 months to go)

It has been three months of teaching in two/three different capacities. I may be due a reflection or two at this point.

1. Substitute teacher at a single school. You may be asking yourself, but wait. Don't substitute teachers usually circulate within a school district? How does it work?

I am what you call an internal-sub. Because I only work at one school, I have the benefits of better understanding the discipline system and the methods behind the madness consistent throughout the school. If a teacher has planned a personal day ahead of time, they may e-mail the principal or me directly to ask if I have the time to substitute. If it's the principal, he either texts me or writes an e-mail--depending on the length of time preceding the request. Often I have gotten called at 6:30 in the morning because a teacher wakes up and feels terrible. Once I had to drive over around noon since a teacher went home sick.

Because of this tremendous opportunity, I have been able to teach 6th-12th grade across all subjects--Special Education, Intervention, Math, Science, English, and Foreign Language classes, specifically.

I haven't subbed for a history class yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

2. Volunteer English teacher at a refugee employment-education store. For 12 weeks, a class of between 18-30 refugees study Retail and Janitorial skills; through this experience, they learn English related to the job, and spend some time developing Employment skills as well.

I love these guys. They're amazing. I basically go here to get inspired (and my employee's discount--25% off)

3. Baby-sitting. Cu-u-u-u-ute. I have a few families, and I get to play with kids--professionally!

My favorite part: reading bedtime stories. One of the favorites is a book called "The Sun" which is about-- you guessed it--the sun. When the kid tries to touch the sun, he pulls back his finger and says "ouch! That burns!". Adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment